pel*I*Can Dream

Pelicans...beautiful, awkward, strong, vulnerable...

Within everyone is a dream...

I can dream...

I hope you enjoy!



Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 1

Old habits are hard to break - like the ones that say, "It's time to check in, time to call home."  But the awkward silence and stilted conversation after, "Hello" is the vivid reminder that this time, it's different.

Even worse than the problematic dialogue are the times when the story takes over and its like nothing is different.  Those are the times that I have to stop myself.  Those are the times that I scream, "Don't you dare go there!"  Because if it isn't different, if its too much like old times, then someone will hold out expectation of a return where all is back to normal...and the one returning will dread it even more than usual because it will mean that the battle will wage with even greater fury and leave more weight to push over the embankment. 

But now to the point of the post and the end of day 1. 

The flight was OK, with the usual turbulance.  And while I noticed the screeming child, it wasn't until we landed and a man quickly rushed to my row to retriew his bags and cursed the kid and his parents that I realized how frustrated many on the flight had become over this 2 year old who could not yet talk, yet made his will known in hoots and hollers (mostly hollers) and who had apparently terrorized those seated around him, this man being one.  They wanted to punch the parents, they wanted to gag the kid, they wanted off the plane.  Unfortunately for them, we arrived too early to the gate to have the local gateworker's union member at the ready to help us deplane.  So we all practiced patience, some better than others.

The taxi ride was uneventful, however never having ridden in a New York cab before, I have to admit that the drivers in India have nothing on these guys.  They invented the term pushy New Yorker!

The hotel is OK...definitely nothing special, but home for the next 2 weeks.  I'm sure it will grow on me.  I just hope that it doesn't grow to the point that I'd rather sit inside than venture out into the world.

So far, my boss (VB) is OK.  She likes order and plans, I think they make her feel safe.  She did have to see me room, my view...probably to make sure it was no better than hers.  But a quick in and out was all it took.  She's on a higher floor, but still same view.  I don't plan on visiting her view unless summonned. We went to the Times Square subway station and got our metro cards for the next week.  And then we had chinese food.  Not bad as far as meals are concerned. At least the cost was within my per diem.

The highlight of the day had to be the gay pride parade. I don't know how impromptu it was, but there were blocks and blocks of paradeees...out in force, celebrating their flamboyance and their right to marry.  Really? May be its just where I am in life right now, but I don't get the attraction.  But it was a festive time that I think can only compare to Key West at Fantasy Fest time. 

After hearing that I had taken some great pictures, VB wanted me to send a copy. Oh, would she be alarmed.  ...this is the same person who said that she was happy we didn't have to stop in front of the gentelman's club (when JT went into a store)...she wouldn't want anyone to get a wrong idea.  ....WOW!  I don't really think there's any problem there!!

The morning will come early.  Leaving the hotel at 7:15 to head uptown....who knows what the day could bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment