pel*I*Can Dream

Pelicans...beautiful, awkward, strong, vulnerable...

Within everyone is a dream...

I can dream...

I hope you enjoy!



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 3

Here we go again. The already established morning routine made getting to the worship a much easier task than yesterday. The meeting in the lobby, the walk to the subway,and the 2 blocks to Teachers College. I imagine that by the end of our two weeks here, it will feel like home.

The power of a dynamic presenter is clear through Lucy Calkins, the workshop developer. Her style, her story telling, she pulls you into the process so you not only hear the steps, but feel the significance of it. The story pulls you in and gives you buy-in. Makes you feel and believe that you want to make it your own.  In this case, to be a writer.

I'm fascinated by the teachers here and wonder if it's been too long since I was last part of the group. Don't get me wrong, that's a good thing. Missing are the teachers who only focus on their classrooms, their students and the limited perspectives that that life brings.  Gone are the teacher sweaters with apples and pencils.  And in their place are faces who look like they belong to this profession, as well as to any other.  Athletic figures, trendy clothes, youth, by my benchmark at least, who can bring more to their students and their classrooms than to say, "I am here for you."  They can also tell them, "Let's explore this world together."  I find the change of population both refreshing and promising.


A trip to dinner, one of the few we will be served, was marked by the familiar routine.  To find the "right" location, VB searched through Google.  Apparantly, it's opinion is more well respected than that of the hotel conceirge.  Once a possible location was identified, it's location was scrutinized for proximity to the hotel; it's menu was examined for both price and the certainty that it contained a choice she would find satisfactory.  Once a restraurant passed this test, it's menu was disseminated to other's so they could weigh in on it's suitability.  In the end, it was a secretary's recommendation that was followed and all were sufficiently satisfied.

Today was better than yesterday, but in all aspects of the trip.  I imagine that tomorrow will be better still. I can't wait to see what will unfold in the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment